Search This Blog

Physics Institutes of India

INSTITUTE OF PHYSICS



The Institute Of Physics, Bhubaneswar is an autonomous research institution funded jointly by the Department Of Atomic Energy (DAE) and the Government of Orissa. The Institute was officially established in 1972 by the Government of Orissa, and registered in 1972 as a registered society under societies Registration Act 1860.  On March 25,1985, the Institute was taken up by the Department of Atomic Energy.


The management of affairs of the Institute is vested in a Governing Council consisting of an eminent Scientist nominated as its Chairman, the Director of the Institute and members nominated by the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and the Government of Orissa. The Registrar of the Institute functions as its Secretary. The Institute receives major part of its financial support from the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India, and a token support from the Government of Orissa. The Institute also receives funds from other government agencies (like CSIR and U.G.C) to finance specific research projects.



Pre-Doctoral Programme

The pre-doctoral programme is aimed at imparting a broad based education in advanced physics and reserach methodology. It is also planned that it will help a student not only in his/her doctoral reserach, but also enable him/her to become a good physics teacher irrespective of whether or not he/she takes up doctoral reserach. Students are selected for admission to the Pre-doctoral programme on the basis of performance in both the written JEST and oral test. The written test is common entrance test JEST for many Institutes in India. The students for the oral test are selected from the performance in JEST. The course runs from August to June every year leading to a Diploma in Advanced Physics awarded by the Institute. The diploma has been recognised by the Utkal and Berhampur Universities as equivalent to their M. Phil degree.


Doctoral Programme

On completion of the Pre-doctoral programme the students are eligible to join for research under the supervisoin of faculty members of the Institute leading to the Ph.D. degree awarded by one of the three universities in Orissa. In order to encourage local college and university teachers, including the Institute alumni to carry out research work, the Institute supports a short-term visitors programme during summer and other vacation periods. All vistors are provided with financial support in terms of travelling as well as daily allowances.





SAHA INSTITUTE OF PHYSICS



The Institute grew out of the Palit Research Laboratory in Physics of the University of Calcutta (CU). Professor M N Saha came back from Allahabad in 1938 to succeed Sir C V Raman in the Palit Chair of Physics. In the discovery of Nuclear Fission by Otto Hahn and Fritz Strassman in 1939, he had seen immense potential of nuclear science for betterment of the country. By 1940 he had had the syllabus of the Post-Graduate Physics reorganised to include Nuclear Physics in the Physics curriculum. Multifarious experiments in Nuclear Physics and instrumentation had started in his laboratory. Soon a small-scale cyclotron was felt necessary for gaining a first-hand knowledge in this virgin field. He decided to have it built here rather than buying one.Thanks to Jawaharlal Nehru's help and Dorabji Tata's generosity, fund was soon available for procurement of parts of the machine. Courtesy to the University a piece of land became available within the University College of Science campus in Rajabazar at 92 Upper Circular Road (now known as Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road) for erecting a building to house the machine. In fact, the laboratory was already too small to contain the spate of activity.



Soon after laying of the Foundation Stone for the building by Dr Syamaprasad Mookerjee the Institute of Nuclear Physics was founded. The year is 1949. When the building was formally inaugurated by Madame Irene Joliot-Curie on 11 January 1950, a date now accepted as the Foundation Day, the Institute was fully functional. Foundation stone for a students' Hall, on a piece of land just behind the campus was laid by K D Malavya in early January, 1956. A few days later, on 16th February Professor Saha passed away. Some time after this the Institute was renamed as Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics.


Indian Institute of Science
Department of Physics

Established in 1933 by the Nobel Laureate C.V. Raman, the Department of Physics soon evolved into the leading centre in the country for advanced postgraduate education and cutting-edge research in physics. The largest number of Ph.D.s in physics in India -- 110 since 1998 -- come from this department. Graduates from the department have gone on to distinguished careers in science and occupy leading positions in research institutes in India and the world over.

Research in the department ranges across the most challenging problems in condensed-matter and materials science, nanoscience and nanotechnology, astronomy and astrophysics, atomic, molecular and optical physics, the physics of biological systems, and the computational physics of complex systems. The department also maintains strong links with the Centre for High-Energy Physics.

Academic Programs Offered:

Integrated Ph.D
Regular Ph.D
Joint Astronomy Program






Indian Institute of Astrophysics

The Indian Institute of Astrophysics is a premier institute devoted to research in astronomy, astrophysics and related physics.
The main campus of the Institute is in Koramangala, Bangalore, whereas the Hosakote campus, near Bangalore houses the Centre for Research and Education in Science and Technology (CREST). The main observing facilities of the Institute are located at Gauribidanur, Hanle, Kavalur and Kodaikanal.

 



Institute of Radio Physics and Electronics
The Institute of Radio Physics and Electronics was established in 1949 as a post-graduate teaching and research department of the University of Calcutta. This is the first University department in India engaged in teaching and research in Electronics, Communication, Computers and all branches of Radio Science.




Bose Institute
The Physics Department is one of the oldest departments in Bose Institute and also one of the most vibrant. It has a glorious history going back to the days of illustrious scientists like J. C. Bose and D. M. Bose. Upto 1987, the major areas of research were Nuclear Physics, Cosmic Rays, Radiation Physics and Acoustics. Since 1987, there has been a burgeoning of research interests in Radiation Physics, Condensed Matter, Foundational Aspects of Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Information and Communication, Intermediate and High Energy Physics and Cosmology, due to the recruitment of new faculty.





Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) is a multidisciplinary research institute situated in Jakkur, a locality north of Bangalore, India. It is relatively young yet well-known around the Globe.

Our mandate is to pursue and promote world-class research and training at the frontiers of Science and Engineering covering broad areas ranging from Materials to Genetics.

It provides a vibrant academic ambience hosting more than 300 Researchers.

The Centre is funded by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India and is a deemed university.